[AMPS] Re: Darwinian selection: was : Noises in electrolytic capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Darwinian selection: was : Noises in electrolytic capacitors
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:42:20 -0700

>Hi,
>
>Tom, then Rich wrote...
>

>> >anyone who depends on bleeders to guarantee no HV after a given
>> >period of time is a fool, and we should let Darwin's selective
>> >evolution theory go to work and cull him out of the gene pool.
>> >
>> //  The amount of energy stored (<100J) would be unlikely to cause
>> death.
>>  I know of no one eho became a Silent Key because of an open bleeder
>> resistor in a ham amp.  All such decedents that I am aware of didn't
>> pull the mains plug.
>
>100 Joules, ill-timed with respect to the heart's intrinsic
>excitation and unfortunately applied such that the right (or wrong,
>actually) amount goes through the heart, is plenty to kill.

//   Defibrillators have more than 100 Joules.

>What usually happens though, is a big-a** "kick" as most of the skeletal
>muscles get stimulated, and we are launched from our previous
>position.
>
>The safe way is: 1) pull the mains,

//   Amen, George

> 2) short the HV

//   In a G-G amplifier, if some remaining charge is on the filter
capacitor, shorting the HV to gnd is a fairly reliable way to zap the
grid current meter.  My shorting stick has a 1000-ohm, 100W resistor in
series with it to limit peak discharge current.  .

>3) and use the
>one-hand-in-the-pocket method.

//  Especially after a 6-pack of 811s.

>People who leave the mains plugged in are prime Darwinian candidates,
>partly because even a "little" shock can make you jump and your
>hand(s) can go where you didn't intend them... like the AC line, or
>HV AC.
>
>I had a shop-teacher Elmer (not a ham)who taught me "Every tool you
>own is waiting to make you bleed."  I've adapted that to "Every
>electronic/electrical circuit is waiting to make you dead."
>
>73,
>

>George Daughters, K6GT

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end