[AMPS] CW/SSB Tune Up

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CW/SSB Tune Up
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:29:39 -1000
Hi,  Consider:

Tune up my linear using 50 wpm "dits" for 1500 watts
peak output as read on my VFD peak reading bargraph/
digital meter,  CW mode.  This into a Bird dummy load.

Now,  switch to SSB,  max out,  without really yelling
into the mike is around 1000 watts peak reading.

Question:  leave things just as they are now,  or increase
the drive power to bring the SSB peak readings back up
near 1500 watts?  If I do that,  then switch back to the
CW mode,  the peak out is way high,  hi.

Someone posted a few days ago that when tuning up a
triode linear for peak out on SSB,  one should call a
steady  "Helloooooo",  or I have also heard "woof,  woof",
hi.  That this procedure is the "proper" SSB peak out
tune up procedure.  Is it??

Then when switching to your properly adjusted antenna
"system",  that is the rig set up does see a 50 ohm
load, all will be well with your amp set up and highest
legal peak output power.

What is proper set up tune up process for max legal out
on each mode?

73,  Jim  KH7M