[AMPS] Ameritron ALS-600

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ameritron ALS-600
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:34:16 -0700
When using break-in, where your exciter keys the amplifier an instant after
you close your CW key, this is a very normal "problem." It can be solved a
variety of ways.  One way that comes to mind and is probably the most
effective is to let your keyer key the amp, and have the amp key your
IC-746.  No joke.  This is actually a whole lot smarter, because it will
assure the T/R relay in the amplifier is closed prior to applying excitation
(drive) to the amplifier.  When you key the IC-746, and use it to key the
amplifier, you are "hot keying" your amplifier, e.g., RF output is reaching
your amplifier at the same time as it's receiving the signal to switch its
internal T/R relay.  What I proposed involves additional, after-market
circuitry.  Ameritron's QSK switch does exactly this, and is available as a
rather expensive accessory.  When you use their QSK switch, your keyer plugs
into the switch, and the switch activates the exciter and the amplifier, and
there is no "slow start-up" when the first dit is sent.

A less expensive route is to simply manually key your amplifier before you
start to send.  This is obviously not QSK, and takes a tiny extra effort,
but I've used a foot switch for such applications many times, and once
you're used to it, it becomes so natural it's almost like QSK -- except
without the "slow start-up" that you've noted.  That's eliminated, because
your amp is keyed first, then the exciter.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger