[AMPS] Cleaning aluminum variable capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cleaning aluminum variable capacitors
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:28:11 -0400
> I bought a large variable capacitor for at a hamfest recently and the
> plates are somewhat corroded....something I knew about before I bought
> it for practically nothing.  I have taken the unit apart, individual
> plates and all.
>
> What's the best way to clean the corrosion off the plates?

Clean it any way that does not leave any sharp points or scratched
edges on the capacitor plate. Any sharp edge (even very very fine
or small edges), burrs, or reduction of rounding of plate edges
greatly reduces voltage breakdown.

Capacitor plates in the USA capacitor manufacturing facilities are
normally tumbled for hours in a solution containing walnut shells to
micro-polish the plates and round the edges.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com