[AMPS] RE: 8k ultra/ "tuned input"

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: 8k ultra/ "tuned input"
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:32:26 -0700
Since Jim's reply involves issues that are likely to be of widespread
interest, I am posting my reply to the group.

//  Your Emailer's attribution marks are not correct.

> Reg   is  perfect,  cuz  u  are  in
>a  steady  state  plate  current  senario.

//  Regulation is not the reason for using a resonant-choke filter.  With
a capacitor filter, the peak current is c. 10x higher on the electric
mains, so one must compensate by using heavier gauge wiring to the
circuit-breaker box.  The "Plywood Box" amplifier needed #4ga. Cu to
maintain acceptable HV regulation.  When tuning up the PB with a tuning
pulser, the wiring could be heard making a racket in the attic --  and
the neighbor's porchlight would blink at the tune-up pulse rate.

>######    resonant   choke  filters   are  a  dead  loss.   Commercial
>stations  use  em   for  one  reason  only,  and  that's  to  eliminate
>high  surge  currents  through   the  diode  strings,  when  supply  is  a
>single  phase  type.

//   The Collins Radio 208-U10 amplifier uses 3-phase 50/60 Hz power.  It
has a resonant-choke filter.

>-   Resonant  choke  supplies   don't  need  huge  output  caps,  as  the
>resonant  choke  setup  kills  the  ripple.
>
>-the  ripple   with  3  phase  supplies  is  only  c  5%  percent,  and
>that's  the  un-filtered dc  output   (vs  48-50%,  ripple  on  a  single
>phase   supply).

//   As I see it, with an unfiltered, single-phase DC supply, the
instantaneous output potential varies from c. 1.4x the RMS V to 0V.  Is
this not 100% ripple?

>To  get  from  5%  ripple  down  to <1%   is  a  piece  o
>cake   with  a  simple  cap  input  filter +  a  3  phase   diode/plate
>xfmr  setup.
>
>- like  John  Lyles  sez...  you  need  extra  LC   sections  thrown  in
>just  to get  rid  of  the  harmonics  of  the   120hz   ripple,  like
>240,   360  hz   etc.     The  resonant  choke only  kills  the 120hz
>ripple  and  not  the  harmonics.

//   I have heard a number of signals from 1500w amplifiers that used a
resonant-choke/shunt C filter without an additional harmonic filter.  I
have not yet heard any ripple harmonics.

>More  L/C   sections  or  a  big
>output  cap,  in  which  case,  you  may  as  well   just  deep- six  the
>resonant  choke,  and  stick  in  a huge   cap.

//  The aforementioned amplifiers used c. 10uF of shunt filtering after
the resonant-choke.

> Then  both  static  and
>dynamic  reg  is  excellent,  and  no  ripple  or  harmonics  of  ripple
>freq.
>
>-IE:   hpersil  pole  pig   +  >50uf  cap.....end  of   story.     6A
>diodes  are  cheap

//  #4-gauge Cu wire is hardly cheap.

cheers, Jim   VE7RF

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.