[AMPS] SB200 Filament Voltage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB200 Filament Voltage
From: N7CXI@SiliconPixels.com (Jim Barber)
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:58:26 -0800
Dave wrote:

>I would suggest using nichrome wire  in series with the filament leads from
>the transformer to reduce the filament voltage to the proper value.

That brings a question to mind.  Has anyone come up with a really
nifty low-resistance, long-life method to terminate nichrome wire
for high current applications?  The only thing that comes to mind
at 6AM is double barrier strips, and I can imagine some problems
with those.

It would indeed be a solution for filament dropping, and maybe
even apps like slowing down a certain Rotron hurricane-maker I'm
thinking of, or even a step-start?  I've wondered whether
nichrome would be better than 'zapping' power resistors with
high-energy transient loads, but don't have any practical
experience with the stuff.

Thanks,
Jim, N7CXI