[AMPS] More t'bolt questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More t'bolt questions
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 07:24:30 -0800
I used to use a 50 Ohm Cantenna in parallel with the input, and never
bothered to remove the 350 Ohm assembly (why bother? leaving it there
results in 43.75 Ohms) and that worked fine.

The T-bolt could be tuned to produce about 1 kW PEP output with the grid
current just perceptably ticking the meter's needle, if it was loaded
properly (heavily).  An advantage of the passive/swamped input and
roller-inductor output network is that it will cover any frequency between
3.5 and 30 MHz quite effectively, so EFJ accurately predicted the
availability of the WARC bands 20 years in advance.  They also guessed about
the possible new 60m band.

In my exp, the T-bolt could not be tuned to >1kW PEP out and remain linear;
the HV is obviously too low for that.  But it always sounded good at 1kW,
and a good sounding kW is far better than a crappy sounding 2kW any day of
the week.

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger