[AMPS] Constant Voltage (Sola) Transformer wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Constant Voltage (Sola) Transformer wanted
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:07:41 -0500
> I have used motor driven voltage stabilisers in my (distant) youth.
> Where the load fluctuates rapidly, as with keying, my experience was
> that they hunt furiously, they lag the demand, the brushes don't last,
> and they fail at an overvoltage condition which destroys the equipment
> they were intended to protect! The Sola at least reacts almost
> instantaneously.

The Sola's I've seen function by saturating a magnetic core (making
a somewhat flat top waveform), and then trying to "round" the
waveform back by eliminating a few harmonics with a capacitor.
They have high ESR, and are generally unsuited for capacitor input
supplies. Of course you have a choke input, and that will help a
bunch.

You might consider increasing voltage. Assuming negligible
transformer ESR, if you double line voltage regulation improves four
times for a given conductor size.

It might be easier to find transformers from industry surplus than
anything else you could do, and find some wire pairs with good
insulation. Heavy industry uses 240 volt voltage step-down
transformers running from distribution lines that range between 400
volts and a few kV. I recently found some new free 4160 volt to 240
volt hypersil transformers, with the largest transformer being about
40 pounds weight.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com