[AMPS] 5cx1500a information

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 5cx1500a information
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:09:39 -0800
> In an old 5CX3000A 1.6-32MHz amp I am working on,
> the plate blocking caps are rated at 8KV. Can I
> guesstimate from this what plate voltage was intended?
-
I have worked on FM broadcast transmitters and Henry HF
amplifiers using the 5CX1500A and B series tubes.  If you
want information about any of said, I can supply it.
-
Henry made (IMO) a dog of an HF amplifier using this tube,
for a short time it was popular in Elcom Bauer and Sparta
FM Broadcast Transmitters.  Probably other brands used it.
-
The Sparta 602 is a long lasting unit running a tap selected
output,high voltage supply is used to set the output power.
>From memory the thing would easily honk 2200 plus watts
out on 95.3 Mhz a big 24/7 .
-
The tube can be rebuilt...  I was told the A&B versions are a
bit different, which includes separate socket requirements,
but actual direct swapping worked in two VHF examples.
-
Gas is a big concern...  I would give it at least an two to four
hours warm up after a slow ramp to the rated min filament
voltage.  Depends on how long it's been idle.
-
This tube seems more sensitive to proper heater voltage than
any other I've worked with.  I would never apply screen voltage
without  something near the proper min anode potential.
When its going full tilt, it is an incredibly bright light source.
-
Let me know if you need information from the paperwork I
have here.
-
cheers
skipp