[AMPS] HV connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV connectors
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:33:27 -0800
Roger, soft and flexible silicone rubber insulated HV wire which is half the
diameter of RG8's dielectric and will withstand 20kV safely is readily
available and lasts decades without service or deterioration.

One very nice feature of the age-old Millen connectors is that the center
pin can rotate independently of the outer shell (by design), and this
provides considerable strain relief to the system.

MHV connectors are not expensive but the cables for their use can be, and
they do not feature the rotating contact.  RG58/RG59 fits that connector
size but have low DWV ratings.  I wouldn't trust polyethylene with much
voltage after soldering anything to its center conductor.  Teflon cable is
fine for MHV connectors, but is expensive and not very flexible.  I prefer
the ultraflexible multistranded silicone rubber HV cable...which works great
with the Millen connectors!

WB2WIK/6
"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger