[AMPS] Re: 6m amp blocking caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 6m amp blocking caps
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:54:09 +0000
2 Wrote:

>//   Do two equal-capacitance paralleled caps have a resonance?

They do not develop a new parallel resonance due to being connected
together.

And later:
>//  In my experiences 50, 57, and 58 Series doorknob caps have a
>resonance at VHF or UHF.  A 0.01uF disc ceramic cap resonates c. 10MHz.

Certainly - these are all *series* resonances with their self-inductance
(plus the inductance of the wire you used to "short" the cap for
dipping).

>//  Mr. Rauch stated that the dipmeter adapter does not work correctly.

I seem to remember he said that MFJ marketed it against his advice - but
the MFJ analyzer manuals do give details of the methods I suggested,
which are superior to dipping.

>>Most modern CF/MO resistors have a spiral element, but if you scrape off
>>the paint, measure the diameter and length, and count the turns, you can
>>estimate the inductance using the normal coil formula. You'll find that
>>at low impedance levels the inductance is generally too small to matter
>>below 30MHz.
>>
>//  ... which is about as useful as teats on  a boar.

I bow to your obviously  extensive knowledge of porcine anatomy... but
not to your engineering judgement.

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek