[AMPS] PSU program

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PSU program
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.com (Ian White)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 18:10:44 +0000
Alex wrote:

>I've got to play with the PSU program...

My, that was quick!

>It has a serious shortcoming... You
>can not change the component parameters to what you want, or at least I did
>not find the way.
>For example I wanted to change the diode bridge parameters to the ones that
>fit my design
>(10000V diodes at 10A) and could not do so. I had to limit my self to what
>was hard coded in the included list.
>
>Same for all other components ...
>
>Am I wrong here ?

Fortunately, yes  :-)   Information on highlighting and changing
components is actually in the Help file... somewhere.

To keep  the same type of component but change its parameter values,
place the cursor directly over the component. A *small* yellow highlight
appears, covering *only* that component. Double-click to get the
component's parameters menu.

To change a whole circuit block (eg to change from bridge to
voltage-doubler rectification) place the cursor above or below the
component, so that the yellow highlight covers from top to bottom of the
schematic window. Now if you double-click, you get a menu of all the
different circuit blocks that could go in that location.

For the rectifier, the nearest fit to your 10000V diodes is the
"1N5408*6" which is at the bottom of the drop-down list. Unless your
application actually exceeds 6000V peak inverse, that selection will get
you started.

Later, you could add your 10*1000 PIV diodes as an extra line in
RECTIFIERS.TXT   Try using:
name, SS, 0.073,  20, 9.353, 10000, 200,  99
(Name can be any text, spaces are not significant, but all the commas
are mandatory. You'll need to re-start the program to load the new
data.)

The change will make a very small difference to the output voltage,
because of the extra diode drops. I was assuming 10 diodes in series
above - the actual voltage drop is computed from the third parameter.
For strings of 1N5084s or similar, this is 0.0073*(number of diodes in
series). It's may be an approximation for other types of diodes, but the
diode drops are totally insignificant for high-voltage supplies.

The current ratings are not presently used by the program, so the last
two parameters are only placeholders. The program does check that the
PIV of the diodes is not exceeded at any time... but it doesn't model
what happens next!

Also note that the main menu allows you to change the mains voltage and
frequency (the example files are for 230V, 50Hz). You can also change
the reverse leakage resistance of the diodes (which could also represent
physical resistors connected in parallel - only factors of 10 are
allowed but this is not critical to performance).

--
73 from Ian G3SEK