[AMPS] stinky amplifiers.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] stinky amplifiers.
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:06:35 -0800
re: This seller claims that this sb-220 lost it?s paint due to
the ?heat from normal operation?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1323785615
unbelievable
-
Hi there,
-
It's not that unbelievable...
-
This actually something I've seen in other places. I've got
three or four amplifiers with similar visible case marks. I
ended up tracing the discolor down to the previous owners
small dogs whizzing on the amplifiers while they were
stored on a closet floor.   Over a period of two years, the
offending liquid can eat right through a steel chassis.
-
The amps I bought (real cheap) still worked as once
demonstrated by the seller, but I dunked them in an
autoclave (steam pressure dishwasher) for a few cycles.
-
A business local to me will sand blast and epoxy paint
the cleaned cases so they look better than new. Epoxy
paint is the way to go...     Some of the hardware has to
go, some gets close up cleaning as needed. The
end result is always the amplifier gets pulled apart
and a ground up rebuild, replacing things as required.
-
It's a cheap but stinky way to break into the used amplifier
market for a relative low cost. I've bought three amplifiers
in said condition from separate people over the last five
years. One was a Collins 30L1...
-
The offending dogs were most often Chihuahuas... one
was a poodle.
-
cheers
skipp