[AMPS] Special connector for coax??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Special connector for coax??
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:00:54 -0800
The discussion about HV connectors involved DC power supply fittings, not RF
transmission.

RG8/U and PL-259's handle lots of power unless horribly mismatched.
Actually, I've tested PL-259's at 10 amperes, almost no discernible heating.
10A at 50 Ohms is 5kW.  RG8/U has a 13ga copper center conductor, and
equivalent resistivity copper braid material.  Its  "insulated" rating is
~20A at 25 degrees C.  It would be hard to melt this stuff from raw power;
usually, failures are from dielectric (voltage) breakdown due to high VSWR.

The arcing in your tuner should stay inside the tuner.  I'd recommend
keeping the tuner cover in place at all times, when you're transmitting.

A "safety" ground needn't be a short length of #2 wire, although that sounds
like it would be good for jump-starting cars and welding.  Whether one can
achieve a real "RF" ground over a broad range of frequencies is always
questionable, but the need for such a ground is also questionable if
current-fed, and matched, antennas are in use.  A real RF ground, like a
"lightning" ground, is best made of flat, broad conductors and not stranded
wire of any gauge.  For a true RF ground, in the broadcast industry I always
used flat sheets of copper flashing (like what used to be popular around
chimneys and gutters on building roofs -- nowadays, it's mostly aluminum).

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger