[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:35:07 +0000
rich Wrote:

>//  Agreed.  But does it make sense to use inexpensive 20v - 30 V. 5W
>axial lead zeners which require no heatsink?

Depends what you want the zeners to achieve - spike protection or
something longer-term.

>>The only exception would be if you insist on running the screen from the
>>B+ supply, and wasting a large amount of power in a 100W high-voltage
>>resistor.
>
>//  Powering the 400V screen regulator from the +1200V mid-point of the
>+2400V FWD anode supply in my 2x 4cx250R linear amplifier consumed a bit
>under 10w total.  This scheme provided failsafe screen protection

That implies you were drawing less than 10mA total, to supply the
screens for two tubes *and* bleed a keep-alive current down the zener
chain. With the voltage dropping out of regulation at every peak of
screen current, it sounds like a failsafe splatter generator.

>in case
>of unpleasant surprises such as:
>1.  Loss of anode V.
>2.  Loss of load.
>--  Without a failsafe means of screen protection, either condition can
>be fatal.
>>
>>>This actually is a good idea in ANY case, because the shunt diode
>>>with protect the screen system if the main regulator goes on
>>>vacation.
>>
>>The protection isn't as good as it seems at first sight. Because of
>>component tolerances, the zener voltage has to be several tens of volts
>>above the correct screen voltage, so the screen dissipation can easily
>>be exceeded if the shunt regulator goes open-circuit. It's also a fault
>>that could quite easily be missed in the excitement of a contest or a
>>pileup.
>
>//  So why not use the simple, foolproof, shunt screen-regulator that
>Eimac recommended for 4cx250s and 4cx1000s back in 1955?

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE *ANY* VOLTAGE REGULATION!!!

Half a century has gone by since that book was written. A lot of things
have been learned since then, but that dumb book hasn't learned a single
one of them.

Most of us try to learn a little more than a dead tree can.

>//  Which is why I use a simple shunt zener regulator for low screen V
>tubes.  When and if a zener fails, it shorts - thereby safely decreasing
>screen V.  However for >800 screen V tubes, a pass-type regulator (with a
>25mA shunt bleeder and screen PS transformer primary fuse) is clearly a
>better engineering choice.  (see Figure 8 on my Web site).
>-  1N5357 5W, 20V, DO-5 case zeners currently cost 80-cents US each at
>Digi-Key.  20 would be needed for a 4cx250R supply - 18 for a 4cx250B
>supply.  The safe current carrying ability is c. 85mA - which enough for
>8, 4cx250s in linear service.

Unfortunately those calculations are only valid for small values of
"linear".

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek