[AMPS] What materials to use in a RF field ???

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] What materials to use in a RF field ???
From: kb7ww@easystreet.com (Arthur Moe)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:47:10 +0000

I am about to start on another 2 meter amplifier, my original 8877 is doing
fine even after 20 years of service. It is not a copy of the W6PO design.
It is a copy of one built by WB6NMT Louis Ancioux. It is a 1/4 wave
electrically flat line with a sliding short, no tuning capacitor, and the
antenna loading is a capacitive probe. He used his AMP on both 144 and 220
I never tried to use mine on 220 but it should work fine.  Anyway my AMP
is housed in a 4 foot rack weighs about 350 pounds the iron (transformer)
weighs 185 lb. by its self.  This package is not very easy to take to the
mountain tops for the VHF contests, it's been there and done that.

In doing some horse trading I ended up with a junker Amp Supply amplifier
that is going to be the basis for a table top 2 meter AMP. What is there
is the case, meters, and high voltage power supply with HIPRESIL
transformer. What I would build is the same RF portion that I am using
now. In my original I used Linen Bakelite for gibs and lead screw. This
material does not machine well to say the least. So I am trying to find
other material to use. Teflon (PTFE) is not rigid enough in the diameters
needed. So the the QUESTION for the group is what other material would be
usable. Looking for material that is rigid, has good machinabilty, and
will work in a RF field.

Thanks for any help.

Art
KB7WW