[AMPS] Porcelain standoffs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Porcelain standoffs
From: wd0ct@networksplus.net (Steven Moore)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:48:17 -0600
Hi everybody,

My experience with porcelain insulators is somewhat different but I think it
applies here. I worked for one of the world's largest tire makers. The fork
trucks that operated in the rubber mixing area of the plant were a constant
source of ignition problems due to the high carbon black content of the air.
All makes of sparkplugs would short across the insulator in a matter of 2-3
weeks.
You could try to clean the insulator with solvents, electronic cleaners, etc
but they wouldn't come clean so the first thing was to just toss the plugs
and install new ones. I tried many times to get the company to buy full
length silcone boots but they never would.
       Ever see a porcelain insulator from an old piece of gear that had the
fine dust on it--you know the kind a air compressor won't blow off? Ever
still see some discoloration of this insulator even after a blast of contact
cleaner? I think this is part of the problem with porcelain. Any surface
cracks just magnify this.

73
Steve  wd0ct