[AMPS] gs35 internals

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] gs35 internals
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:24:16 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian White, G3SEK <G3SEK@ifwtech.com>
To: amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 18 February 2002 07:30
Subject: Re: [AMPS] gs35 internals

>Steve Thompson wrote:
>>
>>If anyone is curious, I've posted a couple of pictures of the insides of a
>>dud tube (dud when it was given to me!). There's no links from the
homepage.
>>www.qsl.net/g8gsq/gs35a.jpg
>>www.qsl.net/g8gsq/gs35g.jpg
>>
>>I'd be glad of confirmation that they're there ok, as I haven't been able
>>access qsl.net at all today.
>
>Yup, they're there. Love that tea-strainer grid - real agricultural
>engineering!

On the face of it, it's simple but effective.

>In more detail, please can you confirm which (if any) of the arcs has
>either (a) holed the grid, (b) marked the cathode underneath, and/or (c)
>burned the cathode?
All of the marks with the brown circumference are on the cathode surface.
There's heating discolouration on the grid above all but the smallest one,
and the merest hint of distortion in the mesh above the really big spot top
left. No holes in the mesh at all.

Materials used - anode is solid copper, unplated internally. Don't know what
the grid is, but the ring is brazed/soldered in place. The mesh part appears
to be soldered onto the underside of the spoked preform.

The ring of metal I cut between grid and ceramic to get these shots appears
to be silver. It's very soft and the cut surface is shiny. There's a foil
ring that ensures a seal at the anode end of the ceramic, and that's the
same stuff.

Steve