[Amps] Air Chimneys for 3-500Z and Anode Dissipation

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Air Chimneys for 3-500Z and Anode Dissipation
From: ad5gb@yahoo.com (Randall DuCharme)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:36:21 -0800 (PST)
--- Kim Elmore <elmore@nssl.noaa.gov> wrote:
> Talk of blower capacities lead me to wonder about
> glass envelope
> tubes.  Here are some of my questions:
>
> I've never seen an air chimney system used on
> 3-500Zs.  Yet, Eimac
> specified the dissipation values given that their
> air socket and chimney
> was in use.  In reality, how well does the standard
> method of blowing air
> across the tube work in comparison?

I have a Henry 1KD-5 that uses a single 3-500Z with
achimney and a squirrel cage blower system.  It's been
my understanding cooling the bases/pins of these tubes
is very important that adequate cooling in this area
can't be realized just by blowing air across the
envelope.  I have much to learn myself but a couple of
my local elmers claim to have melted the solder out of
the tube's pins due to lack of sufficient cooling.

Just my 2 pennies worth.