[Amps] Source for 220V cords

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Source for 220V cords
From: garyschafer@attbi.com (Gary Schafer)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 22:21:02 -0500
Richard wrote:

> >A window air conditioner cord is what you want. They have a molded plug on
> >them,
> >although they are not usually all that long. Can be found in Home Depot,
> >Lows or
> >probably most larger hardware stores.
> >
> >By the way I think that a 15 amp 220 plug has one blade turned 90 degrees and
> >the 20 amp plug has both blades 90 degrees from what a standard 120 volt plug
> >would be.
> >These are all 3 wire plugs. 2 hot and ground. No neutral connection. I think
> >that the SB220 will run without the neutral on 220 vac.
> >
> Do this and the chassis is not returned to mains neutral/gnd at the
> breaker box.
>
> -  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734,AG6K,
> www.vcnet.com/measures.
> end

I am not sure about the SB220 but the SB200 does not require a neutral
connection
on 220 volts. The fan is the only 120 volt item in the amp. It gets connected
from
one hot side to the center connection of the transformer primary. This acts as
an
auto transformer to give 120 volts for the fan. The chassis ground still goes to
the green wire (center pin) as it did with the 120 volt connection. No neutral
connection is needed as there is no 120 volts as far as the line is concerned.

73
Gary  K4FMX