[Amps] al-1200 question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] al-1200 question
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 01:41:27 -0800
I don't see how turning on an amp for a few hours every now and then to help
break a pileup will "run up your electric bill". The duty cycle for a good
CW
operator in a DX pileup is low enough (most of your time is spent listening)
that the filament power will make up the bulk of the power consumption. At
150 watts, it would take a 6 hour pileup to even use a quarter's worth of
electricity at today's rates. This is a pretty good deal when you consider
the
marginal cost of adding another 3dB of TX antenna gain to what was described
as a good antenna system (the amp is already paid for). Even if you spend
big
bucks on a rotary antenna system, why not use the amp for the tough pileups.
Three dB isn't much, but on the margin it makes a difference.

73 de Mike, W4EF.............