[Amps] Tuned Input ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tuned Input ?
From: jstrohm@texas.net (Jim Strohm)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:01:02 -0600
w3nr@vol.com asks

>       Is it really necessary to use silver mica's for a tuned input ? ,
>or will
>disc ceramics suffice ? If silver mica's are needed, does anyone have a
>surplus supplier or is a trip to Mouser in order. Thanks 73...

Depends.  SM are usually more forgiving of RF and power and more stable in
value than ceramics.  Having said that -- NP0 ceramics change value less
from heating than SM.

So your answer is  "it depends," based on a lot of information not in the
original question.  If you're not going to destroy thousands of dollars of
stuff if you blow up a cap, I'd start with whatever was in the junk box or
was readily available.

Of course, Mouser ships fast, is relatively inexpensive, and won't kill you
on small orders.

Jim N6OTQ