[Amps] Inductive reasoning

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Inductive reasoning
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:40:05 -0800
Good morning everyone,
    I've been working on physical layout for my new 4CX600 (x2) amp and
I've made one that seems fairly optimum except for one point.

    The Pi coil is located such that it infringes on the (Terman?) rule
of thumb as to being spaced greater than a radius from the shielding.
The coil is 2.5" in diameter, and it will be mounted about 3/4" away from
two sides (a corner) of the plate compartment.

    Does anyone have a ballpark thought on how much (percent) the
inductance will suffer in this case?

    And can I recover some of the inductance by making narrow slits
(instead on normal ventilation holes) perpendicular to the coil axis
along the two adjacent sides of the enclosure to reduce the eddy
currents?

73 & Happy Vernal Equinox,
   Marv WC6W

*