[Amps] ticking capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ticking capacitors
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:08:14 -0700
I have to add my 2 cents to this quote below. At my workplace we use
some fairly large oil filled capacitors for energy storage for the
pulsed RF systems. Each B+ supply for klystrons (they don't call it
B+ of course, since it is really a negative supply on the cathode) is
90 kV, with 45 uF of capacitance. We pull a couple hundred Amps of
current for about a millisecond, 120 times/second.  If you part your
ear against the steel enclosure (the size of a smaller mobile home or
larger RV) you can hear the ticking of the capacitors as they
mechanically 'jump' during the pulses. A few years ago, this practice
was stopped when end of life failures caused random explosions.
Complete with fire alarms, lotta smoke, and ugly mess on the floor. I
wish they would have failed like Electrolytics as rich noted below.

I have some swell photos of blown up cans if anyone wants to see what
a 4.6 uF, 45KV oil/paper/film cap looks like after it explodes. Let
me know.
73
John
K5PRO