[Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Bird® 43 Manual

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Bird® 43 Manual
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:50:24 -0500
> If all the power was reflected back and absorbed by the ten-tec finals with an
> open termination on the line then it would be dissipating the full 100 watts
> in
> the final?

Quid Pro Quo: That's my assertion, what is yours?  Where do you believe
100-watts of source power is being dissipated in an
unterminated line?  Even if the transceiver's maximum output power was not
attainable under this condition, where then is *any*
power being dissipated in a near-lossless, unterminated line?

> How about when there is no line at all connected? What about if the line was a
> quarter wave length and open at the far end. The radio would see a dead short.

I did not test a shorted line quarter-wave line, but I believe the same tests
would essentially prove identical results of a line
with a shorted termination versus one with an open termination.  In effect, the
line SWR is close to infinity, notwithstanding line
loss.  Without answering a question with a question, what is your assessment of
this?

> If the reflected wave was always 180 degrees out of phase with the forward
> wave
> when the load is other than an open or short then there would not be any peaks
> and nulls along the transmission line that we see.

Nulls of what?  Voltage? Current? The forward wave?  The reflected wave?

-Paul, W9AC