[Amps] Re: BirdŽ 43 Manual

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: BirdŽ 43 Manual
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:29:31 -0800
I would disagree. Power is reflected in a mismatched transmission line.
Send a short RF pulse down a long transmission line with a mismatch
at the end, and then switch in a 50 ohm load at the source end before
the reflected portion of the pulse has a chance to get back to the source.
The load will dissipate the power in the reflected pulse when it returns
to the source point. If the you sampled the meter drive voltage on the
Bird wattmeter with a scope (the meter movement can't respond fast
enough to read the power in a short pulse), you would see that the
meter drive voltage with the slug set in the reflected power position
was proportional to the intensity (e.g. power) of the reflected pulse.

73 de Mike, W4EF............