[Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Bird® 43 Manual

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Bird® 43 Manual
From: Wlfuqu00@uky.edu (wlfuqu00@uky.edu)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 18:33:41 -0500
Someone help me out here. I am tired after a long day and may have some typos.
There is both capacitive and inductive coupling to the loop in the slug in
the Bird watt meter.

         The voltage to current ratio into 50 ohms is 50 to 1.

         The voltage produced on  the loop due to capacitive coupling is
equal to that induced on the loop due to inductive coupling
when the voltage to current ratio is 50 to 1 and the load is resistive.
         This ratio is determined by a number of factors such as the area
of  the loop, its position, number of turns and the value of the resistor
and others. In fact the resistor is a key element for this to work because
it affects only the voltage produced by capacitive coupling.
It does not affect the voltage produced by inductive coupling because it is
solely determined by the rate of the change of the magnetic field that goes
thru the loop and not by the series resistance (one of Maxwell's
equations). While the resistor and capacitor forms a voltage divider which
is really a differentiator that produces a voltage on the loop proportional
to the rate of change in voltage on the line. Xc is much less than R.
         The capacitive coupling does not change when you reverse the slug.
However, the inductive coupling does reverse sense. That is that the
voltage induced by inductance in the loop is the same in either direction
but is either in phase (forward measurement) or 180 degrees out of phase
(Reverse measurement)  with the voltage generated by capacitive coupling.
So when driving a purely resistive load the two voltages add when the slug
is pointing in the forward direction and subtract when it is rotated to the
reverse direction.  If the resistance is not 50 ohms the two voltages do
not null out when the slug is in the reverse direction. And they do when
the resistance is 50 ohms.
         Here, prove it to your self that the meter does not only sense
current.
What happens when you do not connect any load to the meter on say 80 meters?
You get a large reverse reading and forward reading. But with no load there
is no current flowing thru the small section of the transmission line in
the meter.  You can't say that there is a reflected wave from the output
connector because the slug is a very small fraction of a wave length away
from the open connector.  The slug is detecting the voltage at this point
and not current.
         And think about it. You get the same reflected power for the same
incident power if the load resistor is 100 ohms or 25 ohms.
Either produces a 2:1 SWR but a 100 ohm resistor would produce 1/4 the
current as a 25 ohm resistor.  OHM's law still applies.
         The meter does not precisely measure power for all load conditions
but it is real close  when the load resistance is close to 50 ohms.

OK on to something else. My sympathy goes to those that don't understand it.

I am going home to get dinner...

73
Bill wa4lav