[Amps] SB-220 Transformer Problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 Transformer Problem
From: w8ron@stratos.net (Ron)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 22:18:56 -0500
Hi Heath.
When you check the resistances , be sure to check from the primary to the core
and
the same for the secondary as the insulation to the core that would normally be
at
ground potential is sometimes a problem.
It is also possible to have a internal shorted turn on either winding and that
means a re-wind.  The shorted turn will not be detectable with an ohm meter but
will show up as a high current when the transformer is not attached to anything
except the primary that is energized.  Use a variac if you have one or a
filament
transformer to apply low voltages to the primary to keep the destruction to a
minimum.
A few weeks ago , we were discussing the use of old microwave transformers for
service in amplifer use.
That might be possible if you find two that will fit.
---
Ron