[Amps] TS-440S Update

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] TS-440S Update
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:24:17 +0000
On Monday 15 April 2002 06:41, Peter Chadwick wrote:
> Rich said:
>       >-   Mo' ALC-meter indication is seemingly not mo' betta.
>
> Did anyone say otherwise? Trouble is Rich, the idea of having a cleaner
> signal is fine, but one is a bit of a lone voice compared with the 'wind it
> full clockwise' brigade. Still, we have the satisfaction of knowing we've
> done our bit........
I reckon ALC meters are often too sluggish. TS830, for example: often
commented that it's cleaner with the processor on - actually, it's not, but
without clipping the ALC meter doesn't register short speech peaks until they
are grossly overdriving things. Set up the the mic level with a really loud
long whistle, then talk normally and the ALC meter doesn't twitch at all but
the 'scope and analyser say you are hitting peak power.

Steve