[Amps] RF Ground for 2nd Floor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RF Ground for 2nd Floor
From: gclute@attbi.com (Geo Clute W7LFD)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:28:46 -0700
http://www.polyphaser.com/datasheets/PTD1016.pdf This seems to be a very
accurate and valid discussion of grounding and protection from lightning
strikes.

Here, on the second floor of a tri-level house my office, radio shack is above
the ground about 12 foot to the office 2nd floor.  Below me is the garage.
Located below the office floor about 4 ft and to the right about 1 foot is the
250 amp electrical panel.  I drilled through the floor and ran 6 gauge
insulated solid copper thru the panel to the outside. Then followed the
electrical panel ground to the utility company's ground rod.  Clamped and
soldered.  I ran 220 line from the panel up through the same opening. Then
poured a 6 inch thick concrete pad at the side of the house (40'X12') and tied
the ground rod to the rebar in several places.

Not certain this is right, however it seems to work for the last 26 years.  For
VHF work I'm not sure anything this far away from ground will work properly.

Geo W7LFD

Kim writes:
But, how best should I handle a station that's up in the air with no hope of a
ground run short enough to constitute a good RF ground?

_