[Amps] CB Amps on EBya

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] CB Amps on EBya
From: SamuelR717@aol.com (SamuelR717@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:31:57 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/2002 8:40:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, n1rj@pivot.net
writes:

> I've noticed a bunch of obvious CB amps for auction on e-Bay. I've been
> going through the FCC regs trying to find an easy way for a non-ham to tell
> the difference

IMHO, the prob is that non-hams don't care if its type-accepted or not--they
want a "kicker."  I argued at length with EBay over this issue some time ago.
They said they couldn't "..take my word that such postings were illegal..."
concerning some amps obviously intended for CB use.

I then emailed and phoned ARRL HQ with a list of such amps.  They were polite
and said they would "look into the matter."  Since then, the number of such
postings has diminished, and they often contain a statement that the amp is
"FCC legal."  I think somene from the ARRL Enforcement staff did talk to
EBay.  The prob is far from solved and such listings do continue to appear.
I suggested to the League staffer with whom I spoke (in January, 2002) that
an editorial/article in QST on this topic would be useful.  If the article
included info on contacting EBay re illegal postings, and if several hundred
hams bombarded EBay with emails everytime an amp intended for CB use apeared,
they might become more sensitive tot he issue.  Nothing has appeared yet.

Ideally, EBay could require that the seller of any RF amp obtain proof of the
buyer holding a valid ham ticket, and enforce the rule.  That might be bad
for business, tho!  Anyway, truckstops across the country display and sell
amps over the counter.  Where is Riley??

Sam
AA3VD

multipart/alternative
  text/html