[Amps] Warm Coax question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Warm Coax question
From: K1LE@ARRL.NET (Jeffrey Madore)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 20:59:19 -0400
Doc,

I would bet that there is a mismatch along the jumper. I would vary the
length of the jumper and watch the swr. It should remain nearly the same if
the exciter and load impedance are matched.

Along with mismatch comes circulating currents. Since the currents may be
reactive and out of phase with the source voltage, we often say that they do
not result in heating. However the voltage drop due to the resistance of the
line is in phase with any current passing through it and therefore, it
causes heating. So yes, mismatch can result in temperature rise in the line.
I hope this is helpful in pointing you to the possible cause.

73, Jeff - K1LE