[Amps] Lightning

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Lightning
From: k7fm@teleport.com (COLIN LAMB)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 5:3:58 -0700

Since we do not fully understand lightning, nor know when or where it will
strike, I propose that we treat it as a parasitic or arc over.  A giant
parasitic suppressor made of nichrome wire and tuned to perhaps 5 Hz. may
reduce damage to house grids.  This would be shunted with a 10,000 watt, .1 ohm
resistor.  Installing a current limiting resistor might also help.  I am not
quite sure of the value, but I suggest a .01 ohm, 100,000 watt resistor for
starters.  This could limit lightning current and reduce the velocity of the
parts exploding from the new Ten-Tec Orion.

I had thought about reducing attraction of lightning by using underground half
wave antennas - but that may not help.  The voltage developed between the two
half waves - even underground may be substantial.  Perhaps the preferred
solution is to elevate everything and power from a source other than the mains.
 A solar powered station on some lawn chairs supported by numerous weather
balloons may solve the lightning problem.

Colin  K7FM
&nbsp;

text/html (html body -- converted)
---