[Amps] Transformer secondary resistance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Transformer secondary resistance
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 09:42:14 +0000
On Monday 06 May 2002 23:50, Jeffrey Madore wrote:
> Thank you, gentlemen, for your responses re my questions pertaining to the
> suitability of a transformer with a 106 Ohm secondary at 5300 volts and a
> 120 volt primary. BTW I rechecked the primary resistance and it appears to
> be about 0.1 Ohms + - .
>
> My next question is, what would be considered a decent secondary resistance
> at that voltage?
>
> Actually that voltage is a bit high. What if I used a full wave ct
> rectifier scheme? Then the voltage would be about half and the secondary
> resistance would also be 1/2. Would a 53 ohm secondary be considered
> suitable for a 1500 watt amp?
>
> Since I have access to all the winding leads, what if I paralleled the
> secondary windings and used a bridge rectifier?  Now the secondary
> resistance would be about 26 Ohms.
It's worth searching out the Duncan Amps web site and downloading their PSU
designer software. It's very informative to get an idea of the peak and rms
currents in any situation - rms especially where you are looking at
transformer/capacitor heating. You get a good indication of regulation too.

Long ago, I read something that warned against simply paralleling transformer
secondary windings because of the risk of odd effects if the voltages were
not equal. Since then, at high power (whatever the volts/amps), I've always
used separate rectifiers on each secondary. Is this over cautious?

Steve