[Amps] Re: PUT your price on your forsale WAS FS:cheap tubesGU74B,GI7B,

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: PUT your price on your forsale WAS FS:cheap tubesGU74B,GI7B,GS9B,GS23B
From: oz1pif@get2net.dk (Peter Frenning, OZ1PIF)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 10:45:30 +0200
Said Jim:
> Max quoted a price of $15. for GI7Bs plus shipping, which is reasonable
but
> I'm not going to beat his door down.  YMMV, etc.  The anode cooler on
these
> tubes is not particularly effective for full-output 100% duty-cycle use,
> and it should be replaced for these applications, or the tube derated.
> Liquid cooling is a good option.

I agree, I agree, but still... I'm using 1 of these (GI7bT variant, same
cooler) beasties in my mostly HB 144MHz amp, which has been seeing a LOT of
100% duty cycle usage lately (WSJT), and other than having to watch the Ia
needle and occasionally adjust the tuning, it has been turning out 300W+ for
hours and hours (30s on, 30s off, I had the lid off a few days ago, and the
"hood ornament" had become even more attractive! being colored a nice
blue/violet shade along the edges and corners of the fins...
The tube still works fine though.
I also have to admit the it has indeed run away for me a couple of times:
almost no output, 450mA Ia, and glowing a vivid red in the dark! But again,
after cooling down, no apparent ill effects!

What it all boils down to: How to get hold of a more suitable anode cooler
thingie? For me liquid cooling is not an option, and I don't have loads of
burnt out tubes to take apart for experimenting with reuse of cooling
fins....

> the cooler.  The coolers make a nice Christmas tree or hood ornament.
They
> will also fit nicely on a rettysnitch without further modification.

Vy 73 de OZ1PIF, Peter

email: oz1pif(no-spam-filler)@get2net.dk
http://hjem.get2net.dk/oz1pif
Ph. +45 4619 3239