[Amps] Ameritron manuals

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron manuals
From: doug@nc.rr.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 21:18:09 -0400
On Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 10:04 AM, Tom Rauch wrote:

> Only one person responded, and he said he ordered a  manual via the
> web page.
>
> Based on that, I checked and found the webmaster (Ameritron does not
> have direct access to those downloads) as not checked the web pages
> of Hygain or Ameritron for 3 months or longer because he has been
> "too busy".
>
> Never rely on Internet to contact anyone unless their business is
> Internet based for all sales and technical help, because otherwise
> the path to the help is too indirect.73, Tom W8JI
> W8JI@contesting.com

I couldn't disagree more. Either some web design firm is leading
Ameritron down the garden path, or they're wearing blinders. In my
company (which does not sell products via the web) any requests
submitted via forms on the web page go directly to the intended
recipient. This is not difficult to implement.

In any case, the Ameritron web page clearly states:

"Receive a FREE Print Manual for any Ameritron Product! Simply fill out
this form and we will send you a copy of the Ameritron Product Manual
you requested! Click here to fill out the form and receive yours today!"

and goes so far as to include a PHP script to handle the request. In
addition, there's a shopping cart system for ordering merchandise
directly from the "online catalog." I hope that web-based orders placed
for parts are not also subject to the whims of the "webmaster."

Ameritron gets an "attaboy" for offering this service  (and I wouldn't
do it - my company charges dearly for replacement printed manuals)  but
they should either get their act together or yank the page. The
"webmaster" may handle the technical details of the web page, but
Ameritron is responsible for it.

And no, I didn't request any manuals from Ameritron.

Doug, K4DSP