[Amps] Re: [Amps} Transformer oil?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: [Amps} Transformer oil?
From: k7fm@teleport.com (COLIN LAMB)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:1:59 -0700
Oregon has such a disposal site.  But, there is a catch.  It must be for
household use.  A few years ago I retired my 2,000 amp lead acid batteries
from my wind generator.  I had 6 cells that weighed about 300 pounds
apiece.  None of the battery places would take them.  I took three over to
the Department of Environmental Quality that has a hazardous dump site -
which is free for households.  Only problem was that they insisted they
were commercial, since their original source was commercial.  Dump fees
were quoted at about $1,500 for half of them.  I finally convinced one of
the managers that the State of Oregon had indeed approved my wind generator
for home use and given me a certificate of installation - which proved that
it was from home use.  He took them.  But, he also told me to bring the
other three on someone else's watch.  I did and cited the first example.

So, beware of what you say to the hazardous dump site.  Perhaps you can say
it came from your old Kelvinator refrigerator or was from the charger on
your retired electric Citi-Car.  Be creative.  Pretend like the employee is
a tax collector!

Just arrived home from Dayton.  Turned left at Dayton (or was it right) and
took a long detour back to Oregon.  6,200 miles.

73,  Colin