[Amps] RE: [Amps] 8877 Max Grid Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RE: [Amps] 8877 Max Grid Current
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:47:36 +0200
A brand new and optimal 8877 (years ago, rarely later) was typically 40-
50mA for 1.8Kw of output power at VHF (broadcast) with 4Kv HV (loaded).
As the tube was aging, the RF power decreased and drive was often
repeatedly increased by guys of the maintenance to obtain again the
same output and step by step the grid reached levels over 100ma.
I've also seen 8877 working well over 100ma for different reasons (for
days, months) without any abrupt failure.
I'd set with confidence the trip to twice the normal predicted current
(mostly depend by the applyed HV), beeing aware that some amateur use
2nd hand tubes that may require high grid to give the desired power.
Hams have the bad custom to run low HV (or PS with big drops) thinking
that this is wise not to stress the tube, unluckily this is not always
true.

73,
Mauri I4JMY