[Amps] Pi tanks vs Pi L + LOW PASS

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Pi tanks vs Pi L + LOW PASS
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:47:35 -0700
Norman Hockler wrote:

> Wondering about the harmonic attenuation of a Pi L tank vs a standard
> Pi  tank followed by a good quality low pass filter.
>
> I am interested in building an amp using a tune and load cap with a good
> roller inductor in between to eliminate the band switching mess and adding
> a good low pass filter.

I presume that means you're thinking about a single TVI-type lowpass filter.
Such filters have cutoffs around 30 or 50 MHz.  That would do nothing to reduce
the low-order harmonics of the low bands -- for example, all harmonics of 1.8
MHz up to the 16th would fly right through!

I suggest a PI-L network using the roller inductor with a fixed L switched in on
160 and 80 meters.

73
Vic K2VCO
Fresno CA