[Amps] choke resonances++

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] choke resonances++
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:59:31 -0700
>Hmmm.... "hot spots" .... Sounds like grade 9 physics :)

They exist at series resonances.  I have seen choke fires.  The trick is
to park 'em on WWV frequenciess or other out of the way spots at least 6%
away from ham (or CB) frequencies.

>Perhaps the correct utterance is that the  windings gaps provide a
redistribution
>of the inter-thread capacitance that can and will form an resonant circuit
>:)

maxi-Chortle

>In other, simpler, words, the gaps prevent the accumulation of capacitance
>and/or inductance
>for a specific frequency. Common occurrence with LONG and NARROW coils :)
>
>The same effect can be achieved by having a coil that allows for some
>spacing (at least
>one diameter of the wire) between all threads, but this  makes it to long
>for a practical application.

Agreed.  The work-around is to mount the sections at right angles or
short thew big-un with a vacuum-relay on the higher bands.

cheers, Alex