[Amps] Bias Zener Diodes In Parallel ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Bias Zener Diodes In Parallel ?
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:19:52 -0700
>I have an amp that I have put several 5.6Volt @ 5watt zeners
>in series for cathode bias.  They get way too hot with
>about 800ma of current.  Can I parallel zeners to divide the
>current without problems with balance between them?

Not without potential grief.  A more rugged and less costly cathode bias
configuration is a series string of fwd-biased Si diodes.   Each diode =
0.7v.  // Also, the dissipation rating for zeners is @ 25ºC case temp.,
which is highly unlikely without water cooling.  For use in the real
world, divide the diss. rating by 3.  Thus, a "5w" /DO-5 case zener is ok
with c. 1.6w.  A 5.6V, "5w" zener is good for c. 0.28A, but not 0.892A.

cheers, Doug, N4IJ