[Amps] Diode Bias Strings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Diode Bias Strings
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:27:45 -0700
I'm not sure what this is all about, but the Semtech diode string used 3A
diodes internally, having Vf = 1V/cell @ 3A and about .8V/cell at 1A, so
there were a variety made using different qtys of cells.  I recall Henry
used these for their inherantly high surge current capability (150Apk, 8.3mS
rating), but that wasn't the only reason.  The other reason was that at the
time, Semtech didn't make any high powered Zeners, and the Semtech salesman
was good friends with the people at Henry, so they give him the business.
The salesman is quite a famous 20m DXer, Mel, W6FDR (ex-WB6FDR).  I recall
all this because at the time, I also worked for Semtech.

-WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti