[Amps] Ceramic coil formers etc.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ceramic coil formers etc.
From: wa2bpe@infoblvd.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:07:52 -0400
All ceramics/glass ceramics are not created equal and the exact absorption
mechanism
will determine it's usability in an RF field.  The closer one approaches alumina
(Al2O3) or fused silica (SiO2) the lower will be its loss tangent.  In the
cookware
industry, e.g., Corningware (a glass that has been ceramed) is unusable in a
microwave while Correlle dinnerware (a complex multi-layer glass-ceramic) has no
problem.  Likewise some plastics do fine while others may quickly achieve
meltdown or
sparks may fly (some have very lossy fillers).  In the meantime, the µwave
"test"
(put a cup of water in a microwavable container in the unit at the same time,
BTW) is
a quick and usable but not very accurate  test for losses.

73,

Tom - WA2BPE