[Amps] New and old

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] New and old
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:10:48 +0000
Something maybe of interest to those who like modern technology but are
nostalgic for big glass tubes. I've just seen a press release from Cree,
announcing that they are sampling a new Silicon Carbide device for 2GHz cell
basestation use. I believe that others (Westinghouse?) have looked at SiC for
UHF TV as well. As best I remember, SiC can work at junction temperatures up
to around 650 degC, so you could have solid state, and a dull red glow at the
same time!

Steve