[Amps] Commander-II 144MHz amp PSU woes (and Tempo 2002A)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Commander-II 144MHz amp PSU woes (and Tempo 2002A)
From: k7fm@teleport.com (COLIN LAMB)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:18:25 -0700
Mike asked:

"My question is, do the carbon composition resistors used in US
made amps tend to go high resistance with age? I had a similar
thing on a friends 2006, and the HT meter multiplier resistors
(chain of 1M 2W carbons) in the Commander-II also went high R."

Yes.  Carbon resistors will often go high - even sitting unused.  They also
can change when operated near the rated wattage.  Years ago I took a 2 watt
resistor and dissipated two watts in it in open air at room temp.  I
wondered if I could "condition" it so that the resistance would not change.
Amazingly, the resistance kept changing after each heat cycle.  I drew a
graph which looked like a spiral.  One of the problems may be that they
absorb moisture.

Best solution is to change to some other type resistor that is stable.
Make sure that the substitute has a proper voltage rating.

73,  Colin  K7FM