[Amps] rocky point effect, barnacle bill

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] rocky point effect, barnacle bill
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:11:08 -0700
>Rich,
>
> I truly just don't know but I think I remember seeing a rectangular piece
>in the hv circuit [near the plate choke] that looked kinda like glass. Maybe
>that was it. ?

Rectangular power resistors are ceramic.  They tend to make schrapnel
when they open.  Wirewound glass-coated resistors are round.  They can
withstand more joules of overload than similar rectangular ceramic
resistors.  Glass-coated WW resistors are not as capable as
energy-discharge resistors but the cost is under 10% as much.

>     The diode went from a trace on the qsk board to a ground trace. I
>should write these things down. I think it failed open but again I can't
>remember.
>        From what I remember from the manual, I have the feeling this diode
>is meant to fail under a fault condition.

The diode would not fail if it was rated at 200A-pk and a suitable glitch
resistor was used to limit fault discharge current to 200A.  This upgrade
would have added about a dollar to the cost of mfg the amp and reduced
the chance of gold-sputtering from the grids.

cheers, Steve.
.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end