[Amps] Computer Grade Electrolytic Capacitors vs. Radial

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Computer Grade Electrolytic Capacitors vs. Radial
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:07:55 +0100
Steve Thompson wrote:

>>For an inductive input filter the RMS ripple current is equal to the output
>current if you have  a >single phase  supply. For a capacitive input
>filter the max ripple current will be equal to the >square root of 2
>(1.414) times the DC output current.
>

>Doesn't it vary with source resistance and C/R values? I use a rule of
>thumb of 3x for capacitive input - it was very instructive putting a .1
>ohm resistor in the bottom of the capacitor stack and hanging a 'scope
>across it. The example circuit in the Duncan software has a cap input
>PSU putting 450V across 5k. DC current is 89mA, rms current in the cap
>is 226mA and 248mA in the transformer winding.

I haven't checked that example, but one "gotcha" in the Duncan program
is that the default results in the tables include the power-on cycles
where current can be very high.

The solution is to set the "Report from" time a few cycles in.

Also the original PSU Designer did not include high-voltage rectifiers
like we use. If you go to the PSUD site via
www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/index.htm (scroll down to August 2001)
then you can see more details and also download a modified
RECTIFIERS.TXT file which includes a typical high-voltage string of
6*1N5408

PSU Designer is very highly recommended - it can answer just about all
your power supply questions.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'