[Amps] Tank Circuit Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tank Circuit Help
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:23:35 -0700
> Hello All
> I have a question that maybe someone can help me out with.
> I am in the process of  building a GU84B amp.
> I have a 2 vac var caps and a roller inductor, I have a bandswitch also
> but is there really a need to use the bandswitch  when you use vac caps
> and a roller inductor. Pro/Cons?

        [Steve Katz]  Normally a bandswitch is used at a minimum to switch
input tuned circuits per band.  Additionally, unless you have an awfully
large "load" vacuum variable, a bandswitch is useful to switch in loading
padder capacitors for the lower bands like 80 and 160 meters...a typical
vacuum cap can't offer the kind of maximum capacitance normally required to
load into 50 Ohms on those bands.  -WB2WIK/6