[Amps] what tube tester!!!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] what tube tester!!!
From: wrt at dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed Aug 20 20:34:09 2003
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:48:02 +1000, "RICK COLE" <vk3ym@iprimus.com.au>
wrote:

>I am looking to buy a tube tester but there is very little available here in
>Australia so need some advice..
>My main use.. 90%..would be for testing sweep tubes and others such as 6146
>etc from early Kenwood, Yaesu and similar types.
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>Regards Rick

Since you would be testing only a few different types, you could build
your own without too much trouble.  Many of the sweep tubes have the
same socket connections but if you wanted maximum versatility, a
simple patch arrangement like the old telephone PBX's would let you
set it up for anything at all.

A fixed plate and screen supply and a variable negative bias supply
for the grid would tell you whether the tube was in spec for emission.
Protect the meters with a diode and resistor against shorts and you're
in business.

--
73, Bill W7TI