[Amps] skin effect

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] skin effect
From: wmoorejr@cox.net (Steve M)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:42:26 -0500
Hi everybody,

Assuming the same gauge, is a stranded conductor better than a solid
conductor [less skin effect loss because of multiple conductor surfaces] at
rf? How about at 60hz?
     Also can someone point out a good source for this info on the web? I've
tried several google searchs with limited results and no answer to the
stranded versus solid or tubing conductor.
        This subject is a current topic on another reflector. I'm seeing
several guys say that stranded is better but I'm wondering if this is so
then why don't amp builders use this technique?
      I'm thinking that stranded conductors by shorting against each other
negate any advantage they might have at very low frequency and are actually
worse at rf. Am I right, wrong, or clear off base?

Thanks
73,
Steve  wd0ct